The most-awaited event for all the Otakus is Cosplay. Attending a cosplay brings all kinds of excitement — meeting other Otakus, sharing the love of anime and manga, and most importantly, bringing your favorite character to life.
You need to understand Tanjiro’s character, personality, appearance, and abilities and gather all the clothing and accessories.
You may ask why you would need to understand Tanjiro’s character thoroughly? To bring his character alive, you would have to bring his qualities alive too. Hence, this Tanjiro Cosplay guide highlights some of the key points in Tanjiro’s character.
Tanjiro is one of the most celebrated characters, and hence cosplaying him is a great idea.
In this article, we have put together all the things you would require to Cosplay as Tanjiro. So, without further ado, let’s dive right in!
Who is Tanjiro?
Being an Otaku, you surely would have come across the famous Koyoharu Gotouge’s manga, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba. The manga series revolves around a teenager who becomes a demon slayer to avenge his family.
He intends to kill the Demon King who slaughtered his family. In addition, he hunts down all the demons and kills them, protecting people from them and preventing the same suffering he faced.
The teenager in the popular Japanese manga is Tanjiro Kamado.
Moreover, Tanjiro wishes to restore his sister, Nezuko’s humanity, who becomes a demon after the attack.
Furious and grieving, Tanjiro encounters Giyu Tomioka, a demon slayer, who recruits Tanjiro to become a demon slayer.
What follows next is his quest of becoming a powerful demon slayer and getting justice.
Tanjiro is a kind, and gentle individual, who is easily lovable because of his compassionate persona. Everyone finds Tanjiro to be passionate as well. Thus, he is always determined to accomplish whatever he sets his eyes upon.
His determination and resilience are proven when he is on a quest to find his sister, Nezuko’s cure.
Being a demon slayer, he may seem powerful, yet he doesn’t hesitate to ask for help, which shows his humble and modest traits.
With the tragic episode in Tanjiro’s life, he becomes extremely protective of his friends and loved ones. Throughout the series, you would find Tanjiro protecting and taking care of his sister as she is the only family left for him.
Every individual has a limit for tolerance, and so does Tanjiro. Hence, the writers have laced Tanjiro’s character with a limit of tolerance too. This trait shows as Tanjiro becomes annoyed with Zenitsu Agatsuma’s constant whining and complaints and angered because of the barbaric actions of Inosuke Hashibira.
Surely, Tanjiro is kind and gentle with vulnerable individuals and his friends. However, the contrast in his personality is evidently visible when Tanjiro confronts Muzan, the Demon King.
Tanjiro leaks profusely of anger and vengeance and is ready with his sword to kill Muzan upon encountering him.
After several episodes of Tanjiro encountering Muzan, you would notice a colder and more brutal side of Tanjiro. For a teenager, Tanjiro’s character evolves to be darker and ruthless towards Muzan.
Moreover, in the manga, you will come across Tanjiro as empathetic and can empathize with anyone, even demons! Tanjiro has great maturity, as is seen in the series through his treatment of demons. He goes by the ideology—demons committed to evil should be killed, but demons reflecting on their crimes should not be belittled after their death.
To Cosplay Tanjiro, you need to acquaint yourself with his appearance. Hence, here is a detailed description of Tanjiro’s appearance.
For a teenager, Tanjiro has an athletic physique and muscular built. Moreover, his height is average, and he is fairly tanned.
Tanjiro’s hair is combed back with his forehead exposed. He has ruffled strands with tips colored burgundy. Wide-eyed Tanjiro has dark red colored eyes with a white pupil, appearing lighter around the lower part of the iris.
While protecting his younger brother from a falling brazier, Tanjiro gets hurt, and the scar remains on the top-left forehead. Later, the graze-like scar develops into a flame-like pattern and becomes his Demon Slayer Mark during the final section.
After his fight with Muzan, Tanjiro’s appearance shows a drastic change. He injures his right eye as Muzan poisons him; in addition, a huge mass forms on his right eye. However, he later heals from the injury and regenerates his lost arm.
Lastly, his final appearance has several developments and changes—dull, pinkish-gray right eye, wrinkled and bony left arm, and longer flame-shaped mark on the forehead.
Tanjiro is described as someone who is a prodigious combater. He has a natural and strong aptitude for fighting. Moreover, he is exceptionally skilled in swordsmanship. In addition to prodigious fighting skills, Tanjiro has superhuman characteristics too. Some of them are:
- Extraordinary senses
- Incredible sense of smell
- Immense willpower
- Great intellect
Nevertheless, he obtains several skills and abilities by training himself and fighting like a demon slayer. He also learns to breathe underwater to catch low-laying demons. The demon slayer mark also unfolds several abilities and power for Tanjiro.
He attains the ability to dye his Nichirin Blade bright red. Similar to his father’s ability, Tanjiro too could foresee his opponent’s attack. How could he do that? By analyzing and perceiving the blood flow of his opponent.
Lastly, Tanjiro always possessed the ability of impeccable aim and perception.
Why Can Cosplaying as Tanjiro be a Great Idea?
Cosplaying your favorite character is the best possible way to show off your fandom. Moreover, be creative in celebrating your favorite manga series. More so, what can be the best opportunity for an Otaku to bring their character to life and live the Otaku dream other than a Cosplay?
Hence, if you are an Otaku and Demon Slayer has been your favorite anime, why not celebrate it in a Cosplay!
Are you wondering whether other anime fans would recognize you if you cosplay Tanjiro? Yes! They will surely recognize you because Demon Slayer has been one of the most popular anime in 2019. Moreover, the anime series had gained 1.4 million viewership when it was running.
Another reason why you should cosplay as Tanjiro is because who doesn’t love Tanjiro and Demon Slayer? Statistics support it: Demon Slayer has great ratings—8.3/10 on IMBD, 98% on Rotten Tomatoes, and 75% on Metacritic.
Considering the popularity, you can easily find Tanjiro’s costume online. If you wish to make a DIY costume, you can certainly make one too. In addition, the costume is easy to make and doesn’t require a lot of effort.
If you’re going to a Cosplay with a friend, your friend can dress up as Nezuko, and your dress-up would surely catch eyes.
The Complete Tanjiro Cosplay Guide
Otakus are fond of Tanjiro, and they admire his bravery, gentleness, kindness, protectiveness, and sincerity. Moreover, Tanjiro is the most admired anime character because of his ability to be resilient and brutal with the enemies and show softness to the ones he loves. What more could an Otaku ask? Hence, Tanjiro makes a great Cosplay character.
If you’ve chosen Tanjiro to be your Cosplay character, you have made a great choice. Not only is Tanjiro one of the most famous and favorite characters, but he is also easy to dress up as.
Cosplaying as Tanjiro isn’t challenging as most of the basic clothing is easily available. Bonus! You can find Tanjiro’s costume on most online cosplay stores or at your nearby cosplay store.
In this guide, we have jotted down all you require to cosplay Tanjiro and make the best appearance at your cosplay party.
Things You Will Require
We have categorized all the things you will require to cosplay as Tanjiro into two parts. In the first section, you will find all the clothing and essential things. While, in the second section, you will find the additional accessories and make-up to complete the Tanjiro look!
Here is the list of things that you will need to get the perfect Tanjiro Costume.
The wig is the most important part of Demon Slayer Tanjiro’s costume. It is because his hair is unique. You cannot match it without making various changes to your hair. He has unique ruffled, black hair with burgundy tips combed back to expose his forehead. Hence, you will need to find the perfect wig to make it look complete.
You can easily find a wig that matches his looks online. All you have to do is a google search. It is available on multiple online stores, including Amazon.
- Availability: As mentioned above, you can easily find this wig online at affordable prices.
- Alternative: If you cannot find the wig as per your desire or simply don’t want to buy a wig, you can style your hair on your own. You can also visit a salon and get your style done by a professional. However, you should note that you might have to color your hair spikes to resemble Tanjiro’s hair.
Kimono or Haori
Tanjiro Kamado is dressed in a kimono with an ichimatsu pattern in black and green. Like a Go (Japanese chess) board, this checkered pattern is made up of square or rectangular objects in alternate hues. Longevity, commercial success, and personal and familial prosperity are all represented by Ichimatsu patterns.
This Kimono or Haori is the major distinguishing element of Tanjiro’s costume. You must have noticed that every anime character wearing a kimono has a unique pattern on it.
- Availability: The kimono is available in multiple online stores. You can easily buy it on Amazon as well.
- Alternative: If you don’t want to buy the kimono or unavailable, you can always get it stitched or make it yourself. There are multiple DIY videos available on YouTube that teach how to stitch such kimonos. You can easily learn the skill and make the kimono as per your fit.
Black Corps Uniform
As you might know, Tanjiro is a part of the Demon Slayer Corps. The Demon Slayer Corps has been around since the beginning of time. It is effective in protecting humanity from Demons. The organization has hundreds of members, but none of them are recognized by the government.
The Demon Slayer Corps wears a plain black long-sleeved military-style collared shirt with golden buttons and white outlines around the breast pocket and collar. A huge white kanji character, “滅” (metsu, signifying annihilation), appears on the back of the jersey, representing the “metsu” in the Demon Slayer Corps’ Japanese name, kimetsutai (鬼滅隊).
- Availability: It is also available in multiple online stores. However, the best ones you will get on Amazon.
- Alternative: If you cannot find the black uniform for yourself, you can get it stitched by a professional tailor. However, there are DIY videos available on YouTube for this as well.
Black Hakama pants
Tanjiro is seen wearing the traditional Japanese Hakama pants that extend to his Tabi Socks. These pants are usually deep black and are loose to provide mobility to the Demon slayer.
The pants, however, seem to get narrowed down because of the white bandages wrapped. That is the reason why some stores sell narrow bottom switched pants instead of hakama pants. Also, usually, these pants come along with the Black corps uniform.
- Availability: These pants are available in online stores like Amazon at affordable prices.
- Alternative: If you want to make the pants yourself, you can check YouTube for DIY videos or get them tailored. However, we believe that buying from an online store will be much cheaper than making it on your own or getting it stitched. Therefore, we suggest you buy it online only.
Tanjiro is seen wearing a completely white belt with a simple metal buckle. The belt looks quite simple, and you won’t have much problem finding it.
Please note that the Demon Corps outfit is not complete without the white belt. It gives the scene a black-and-white appearance. It ties the entire ensemble together. Moreover, it will get a better grip on the hakama pants.
- Availability: You can easily find these belts in online stores. In fact, most of the stores give it complementary to the uniform.
- Alternative: If you have trouble finding this belt, you can try painting your old belt with a simple buckle with a fabric color. It is a cheaper option than buying a whole new belt. Also, it will help you reuse the discarded one.
Tanjiro’s scar certainly isn’t inconspicuous as it plays a defining role in his appearance. There are many speculations and stories behind the scar. However, the point of our concern is that it is an integral part of Tanjiro’s costume. It is a unique mark that completes the entire look.
- Availability: Some stores sell this car in the form of a stickable tattoo.
- Alternative: If you don’t want to spend on a tattoo, you can get maroon skin paint and paint your forehead. Make sure you buy skin-friendly paint and match the scar properly. It will help you save some money.
Tanjiro wears a unique pair of Hanafuda earrings. Hanafuda is a type of Japanese card that is made from paper and cardboard. They are quite small from the cards found in western regions of the world.
Tanjiro’s Earring is Hanafuda earrings that have been passed down through the family for centuries. Sanjuro, Tanjiro’s father, and Yoruichi Tsugikuni, the first Breath of the Sun user in history, wore earrings.
These earrings are quite simple yet very appealing. There is an image of the sun rising over the mountains on them. It has a red circle at the top with multiple lines going in different directions from the circle, forming a floral shape. A big grey semi-circle appears beneath these lines.
The Hanafuda earrings are a powerful sign of Sun Breathing Style fighters, and they can be found in both the manga and anime “Demon Slayer.”
- Availability: These earrings are easily available in online stores. You can even find it on Amazon.
- Alternative: If you don’t want to invest in these earrings or they are unavailable, you always have the option to make them on your own. All you need is thick cardboard, white sheets, maroon, black, and white acrylic colors. Now, open an image of the earrings for reference and paint it out. Lastly, you can use a thread to tie them to your ear studs.
Demon Slayer Mask
As you may know, Tanjiro got his training from Sakonji Urokodaki, a retired Demon Slayer Corps member.
Sakonji Urokodaki carves a fox-themed warding mask for his students to wear during their Final Selection after completing their training. Protection magic is imbued in these masks. Tanjiro received a mask from his master as well.
Tanjiro’s scar is covered with a red sun-shaped symbol on his mask. This symbol’s color and shape are also similar to Tanjiro’s Hanafuda earrings.
- Availability: The Demon slayer mask is easily available on several online stores, including Amazon.
- Alternative: If you want, you can paint the mask as well. There are several DIY videos available on YouTube that might help you.
Black Swords with Scabbard
Tanjiro is seen using a unique black sword. It is so unique that very few anime and manga characters are seen having it, and Tanjiro is one of them. There are several speculations behind the black sword. A few say that it is a prophecy that Black sword users like Tanjiro die young.
As this sword is unique, you will have to buy or make it to complete the costume.
- Availability: The sword, along with the scabbard, is easily available in different online stores. You can also find it on Amazon.
- Alternative: You can also make it with some amount of effort. There are several videos available on YouTube, but we have found the best one for you.
Tanjiro wears tabi socks, which are traditional Japanese socks that are worn with a zōri. These socks can be seen as a part of the costume of various anime characters.
These socks are not as important as other costume elements, and their alternatives can be easily found. Also, there is not much meaning, mystery, or sense attached to Tanjiro’s socks.
- Availability: These are traditional Japanese socks; hence they are very easily available both online and offline. You might even find it in the local Japanese store.
- Alternative: You can replace it with normal white socks if these are unavailable or you don’t want to invest in them.
Sandals or Zori
Tanjiro wears traditional Japanese sandals that are referred to as zori or zōri. These are thonged sandals made out of rice straw, cloth, leather, rubber, or synthetic materials.
The zori that Tanjiro wears is made up of red straps. They are unique, but they certainly are important for the overall look.
- Availability: These sandals are easily available in various online stores. You can also find it on Amazon.
- Alternative: Unfortunately, there are no successful ways of making the zori on your own. However, you might try to paint your regular flip-flops.
You must have noticed the bands of white cloth wrapped quite tightly around Tanjiro’s calves resembling Kyahan. There is not much information about their significance, but we believe that it enhances the mobility of this demon Slayer and keeps the pants tightly in place.
However, these are a very important part of the overall Tanjiro look. So, make sure to buy them.
- Availability: You can buy them online or get while clothes from an offline store.
- Alternative: You can also use your old white shirt or plain white paper instead of white bandages
Additional Accessories and Make-Up
Apart from the costume elements, you will need only a few more elements to get a successful look. Here are some of the things that you might want to consider-
You must have seen Tanjiro carrying a large wooden box. It is the box in which he used to carry his sister when they used to travel.
Apart from the scar, there is very little left to do the make-up. You can, however, wear lenses to match his eyes, and you can also define your eyes a bit. However, you can give it a personal touch.
Tanjiro: Character Trivia
Demon Slayer’s main protagonist, Tanjiro, made the show extremely popular and most-watched. Do you know why? It is because of some of the most interesting things that made him stand out from the rest. Here are some of the most interesting facts about Tanjiro.
- Tanjiro is an emphatic character. You may think you already know this fact because most of the male shounen protagonists are empathetic. However, Tanjiro is one of a kind and takes his empathy to the next level. He sympathizes with demons too!
- Tanjiro’s demon slayer mark gives immense power as after awakening it, he would defeat demons he couldn’t otherwise.
- The resemblance with his ancestors is by far the most astonishing. Tanjiro’s resemblance with his ancestor, Sumiyoshi, has not been mentioned in most anime facts. However, the reason why the two resemble so much is not yet explained. However, it is one you can ponder upon.
- Only Muzan and the other demons with evil traits bring out Tanjiro’s terrifying rage. You would know Tanjiro as a gentle person only till he encounters Muzan.
Question: Since Tanjiro is a male character, can a woman dress up as him?
Answer: Yes, definitely. Considering that you will wear the wig and follow the whole costume, you can dress up as Tanjiro. Moreover, it is cosplay; come on, there are no restrictions based on gender.
Hence, even if you are a woman, you can definitely cosplay Tanjiro.
Question: How did demon slayer Tanjiro get his scar?
Answer: Tanjiro’s scar is one of the most intriguing parts of his personality. Some believe that it is a birthmark, while others say that it is a result of an accident. There are multiple stories saying that he got it while saving his brother from burning charcoal.
However, after the mystery unfolds, it seems that this mark is not a birthmark or a result of an accident. It is only found on the bodies of exceptionally strong Demon Slayers.
Tanjiro is an empathetic and brave character. He is one of the most popular ninjas in the anime world. Hence, your decision of cosplaying Tanjiro is definitely right.
You can easily cosplay him if you follow each and every instruction given in this guide. We have provided you with links to buy the products and links to the DIY videos. There are alternatives for almost every costume element. Therefore, if you face any issue in buying the element, you can always make it yourself.
Whether you want to make or buy the costume is completely your choice. Follow the instructions given in this guide, and we are sure that you will rock the Tanjiro cosplay.