- Sokka Cosplay Costume Ideas: Emulate The Wise Cracking Non-Bender - October 8, 2021
- Nami Cosplay Ideas: Become One Piece’s Money Hungry Explorer - October 8, 2021
- Rem Cosplay Outfit Ideas Guide: Help This Shy Maid Come Out Of Her Shell - October 5, 2021
Sokka is always at the top of popularity polls regarding the Avatar: The Last Airbender series. In the anime – oh yes, I am calling it an anime – Sokka is often the comedic note that breaks the tension, but when it comes down to it a strong warrior and a loyal friend. Despite looking rather plane, he actually is pretty hard to cosplay. So that is why I am writing this guide that will at least give you an idea of how to get started with cosplay and what you should look out for.
Avatar, despite having ended years ago, is still an extremely popular franchise, and you can still see a lot of awesome cosplays popping up on Instagram, Pinterest, and in real life. The Sokka costume is a pretty recognizable one if you do it right. You need to be smart about it and make sure you pay attention to detail and make smart substitutions if you can not get a full costume.
This Sokka Cosplay Costume Ideas guide is all about doing a great Sokka cosplay and what you are going to need to know and have to do that. I am going to start out by giving you a brief overview of who Sokka is. I will do this by discussing his background and his personality. After this, I am going to give you an in-depth overview of how to dress up if you want to look just like Sokka. I am going to try and give you some tips on how to make some items yourself. At the end of the article, I am going to answer some of the most often asked questions about Sokka and cosplaying him.
Sokka his background and personality
Doing a perfect cosplay is not easy. Getting the costume right is the most important part of it all, however, that is not everything. How you carry yourself, what you say, and how you act are also important to get your cosplay exactly on point. That is why I am going to tell you all there is to know about Sokka his background and his personality.
Sokka was – let’s assume you watched Avatar Korra – a warrior from the Southern Water tribe and the son of the chief of that tribe, Hakoda. When his father left for war and his mother died, he and his sister were raised by their grandmother Kanna.
When his father left for war, he was too young to join him and the other men of his tribe. Sokka was the oldest boy of the entire Southern Water Tribe when his father left, and he thus felt responsible for the protection of his tribe. He started training the children to be brave warriors and often went scouting on his own.
Sokka does not have any water bending powers. However, he is quite a good warrior when he is being serious. Being the oldest male of the tribe has also given him the chance to develop his strategizing and leadership skills.
Sokka used to be a very immature, rude, and skeptical boy. He was however quite witty and a lot smarter than he let on. Sokka is also quite jealous of benders. He does not have abilities, so he chooses to live as a warrior and a scientist. Most of the time, he is being a goofy guy who is easy to get along with and always willing to help.
He also has a very serious and protective side when it comes down to his tribe and his sister Katara. Sokka also became very protective of Aang when they became friends. Despite being a bit goofy and clumsy, he also has a very intelligent and creative side.
Sokka is probably one of the most trustworthy people in the series when it comes down to helping his friends in need. He knows when he should help out and when people should fight their own battles. He also is known to hold a grudge for quite a long time. Sokka hates the Fire Nation and all that it stands for.
If you like to eat, Sokka is going to be a great cosplay for you. He was the main hunter of the group and is a very passionate carnivore. He knows how to cook and how to prepare a great meal. Despite that, he also is a huge animal lover. He had a great relationship with Momo and had a messenger Hawk named Hawky.
In short, cosplaying Sokka is a lot of fun. You can be a sarcastic and meat-loving dude, with a great personality and a lot of good quotes. If you want to go all out, you can even bring a hawk. If that isn’t awesome, I don’t know what is.
How to do a great Sokka cosplay?
There is quite a lot of things you can DIY for your Sokka cosplay. However, this is not easy. I will give you a couple of tips that will surely help you with making these props. I will also give my honest opinion about buying the cosplay premade.
- The Boomerang – This is what is going to make or break most Sokka cosplays. You can make the boomerang yourself if you have quite a lot of patience and two crafty hands. You can make it out of foam, wood, or 3D print it. However, You can also get some pretty decent models yourself.
- The meteor sword – Sokka also has a space sword. This sword is made from a meteorite he found. The sword is not as iconic as the boomerang, but the sword is great to have, too. You can also just bring both of them if you do not want to choose. You will need to have thick styrofoam to make this. You can also make this out of wood or real steel. The reason why I would make it out of steel or wood is simple. It is going to be a lot more durable than styrofoam. This also gives you the upside of being able to fight with your sword without it breaking.
- Sokka his necklace – Sokka also has quite a cool warrior necklace. You can get this online for a pretty decent price. Of course, you can also make this item yourself if you are a craft person. The necklace is not too hard to make, but it will still cost you quite a long time to make it and that isn’t a guarantee that you are going to be successful making it. I would strongly recommend you just buy this necklace online and save yourself the trouble.
- Water tribe costume – You can get yourself – or make – a water tribe costume. This is going to save you quite a lot of time. Making a costume that complex yourself is not something I would recommend when you do not have a lot of experience making something this complex yourself. You also have some very budget options if you don’t want to buy the costume or can’t make one yourself.
- Blue pants, blue coat, and Blue long sleeve tee – Before you use this, I must warn you, it is going to look a bit silly. It is a very budget option to wear this as a cosplay. However, it is a good alternative for when you are going to a very casual event like a birthday.
- White ribbons – To make your Sokka cosplay a bit more flashy, you can add some white ribbons to your weapons. You can use regular ribbons. This is completely optional, so you do not need to use this.
- Brown winter boots – Sokka wears brown boots throughout the series. These can be any kind of winter boots. You should find a pair that is not too thick because otherwise, this cosplay might become a bit too warm after a while.
Should I buy a premade costume for my Sokka cosplay?
Buying or making your cosplay is often a pretty big decision that has quite a lot of impact on the result. I am going to tell you the pros and cons of buying the Sokka cosplay. So these pros and cons might not be relevant for other cosplays.
Pros of getting the Sokka cosplay costume
- Easier – Getting the costume online is a lot easier. The boomerang and the sword are pretty hard to make. This will take you a lot of time and if you do not do it right, your cosplay is going to suffer. Buying other stuff like the water tribe costume is also a good idea, it takes pretty long to make, and it is very hard if you are not experienced with working with fabrics.
- Cheaper – Depending on where you live, and how expensive fabrics are where you are from, buying small amounts of fabric to make your costume is going to cost more than just buying a pre-made costume. That means, despite putting all the time in your water tribe Sokka costume, it is likely going to be more expensive.
Cons of getting the Sokka cosplay costume
- Not as unique – If you are going to buy all the items Sokka uses and all the clothing he wears online, there are bound to be people who have pretty much the same costume. Having two of the same Sokka’s in one place is something a lot of people love, but others hate having someone with a similar or identical costume.
- Less connection with the character – Sokka made his boomerang himself. So you might get a kick out of it and get closer to being a real Sokka by doing the same thing. If you spend a lot of time making the costume. You are going to feel a lot closer to the character.
Frequently Asked Questions about doing a Sokka Cosplay
Question: Can you do a couples cosplay with Sokka?
Answer: Yes, you can! I would recommend you to dress up like Suki. This is the girlfriend of Zuko in the series. The costume Suki has is very easy to recognize and the character is just not cosplayer enough. It is such a fun costume, I can’t recommend it more from an aesthetics look.
The downside about this costume is the amount of makeup you are going to need. This is going to be pretty annoying if you do not have makeup or face paint that is waterproof as it can become quite a mess.
Question: Can you make Sokka his boomerang yourself?
Answer: Yes, you can make the boomerang yourself, but it is pretty hard to do. You will have quite a hard time making the sword too. You can make them out of styrofoam. That is going to be the easiest material to work with. However, this won’t be very strong. Another option is to make them out of wood. This is a lot harder and much stronger. You can also buy this online. This is not going to be so expensive.
Question: When should I not cosplay Sokka?
Answer: Sokka is from the Southern Water Tribe. This means he lives in the equivalent of our Antarctica. His cosplay features a lot of thick clothing and also some very warm boots. This is going to make this costume quite a pain to have on in the summer or cramped spaces with a lot of people. I suggest you only do the Sokka cosplay if you are going to be outside and if it is not too warm.
Final thoughts about cosplaying as Sokka
Sokka is one of the most cosplayed characters from Avatar. He is very popular and a lot of fun to dress up as. The thing about him, however, is, he only has a few accessories that make him stand up.
You will need to make sure that your boomerang and the water tribe costume are on point. If there are not good, you will have a hard time being recognized as Sokka if you are going to a non-avatar convention.
The thing I like the most about the Avatar the Last Airbender anime is how mainstream it is. This means you can show up to birthday parties and other informal dress-up events as Sokka. If that is the case and you are just going somewhere to have fun with friends or in a small group, having a shoddy premade costume is okay and nothing to be ashamed about.